Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Sweet Treats of Summer!

Well I can still remember the first time I sat down to stamp at a friends stampin up party & thought I could never do this on my own, how would I figure out where to cut the paper! Okay so those days are long gone, by at least 2 years, and I'm proud to say I made this by myself! Sure you could probably find ways to improve it, but for a first go it's not too bad! I will include the template & directions at the bottom.

The first time I saw the little Ice Cream Riley this came to mind. I think it would make a cute birthday gift for any child or adult with a sweet tooth, or how about someone home recovering from surgery! I know Olivia has had her eye on it since I made it, and she keeps asking who it will be for, hoping of course that I will say it's for her!

So where to start, hmmmmm, well I bought the spice jars at the $ store. They're just regular ordinary size spice jars.

I used the computer to print out the labels. I used toffee bits, mini chocolate candies, oreo crumbs & sprinkles. I also printed off the sentiment on the front. I punched the circles on the lids with 1-1/4" & 1-1/8" circle punches & a nesties scallop circle. Please ignore the score line in the photo above, that was a mistake!
To make the body of the container, I made to separate boxes, one for each side. This made it easier to figure out, and you only need 8-1/2" X 11" cardstock.

Each box is as follows: start with a piece of cardstock 7" X 6-1/4"
score the 7" side 1-3/4" in from each side
score the 6-1/4" side 2-1/4" in from each side
cut along the solid line just to the score line

This makes 1 box that holds 2 spice jars
(sometimes you can click on the photo to enlarge it, it doesn't always work, & I don't know why!)







Fold up the sides, and use really strong adhesive. I would suggest the red tape or scor tape. Once you have 2 boxes made, attach them together, back to back.


Now you need to cut the centre panel which is 10-1/2" x 3-1/2" score in half at 5-1/4". This is the handle, and the piece that holds it all together. I used the large oval punch for the handle. Again use strong adhesive, on the inside of the folder handle, making sure the 2 sides don't meet until they are in place. You want to arrange it so that the joined boxes are sandwiched between each side of the center/handle panel. To make it a little more secure, I also put 2 brads thru the middle. Gee that sounds complicated...it's really not!


Next you need two spacers, cut 2 pieces 2" x 3-3/4". Score each end at 1". These will go inbetween the spice jars, inside the box. You can see in the photo above.


The dp I used was in the DCWV summer stack. I had to cut 2 strips to cover the whole container. Cut a strip 2" x 12" & 2" x 3-1/2". I put the smaller piece across the back, it's the same width as the back.


Riley was stamped onto white coloured with copics, and cut out with a circle nestie. The pick behind that was punched with a 2-1/2" circle punch and then layered on a scallop circle cut with a nestie. The sentiment was punched with a 3/4" circle punch & layered on a circle cut with the nestie. And there you have it! I hope you try to make one, I'd love to see it if you do.


So to recap, you will need:


2 pieces cardstock 7" x 6-1/4" (boxes) score along 7" side 1-3/4" on each end, score along the 6-1/4" side 2-1/4" on each end.


1 piece cardstock 10-1/2" x 3-1/2" (center handle) score on long side at 5-1/4"


2 pieces cardstock 2" x 3-3/4" center spacers score along 3-1/2" side 1" on each end.


1 piece dp 2 x 12" and another piece 2 x 3-1/2"


Ice Cream Riley stamp http://www.hannastamps.com/


strong adhesive


large oval punch


circle/scallop nesties


circle punches 3/4", 2-1/2", 1'1/4", 1-1/8"


2 brads


copics, ribbon or whatever you want to decorate with.


Thanks for taking the time to stop by, and remember if you try one, please leave a comment with a link so I can admire it!


Laurie

2 comments:

StampOwl said...

so sweet

LeAnne said...

Oh, this is delicious! Thanks for the directions, I may try to make one!